Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Giants are hiring a baseball operations analyst

1 post in this topic

I’m not usually in the business of amplifying the Giants’ job requests, but this one seems important. You might be a smart person. The Giants need more smart people So quit your job building rockets or teaching children to work for them. Simple!The job title is Baseball Operations Analyst, and the description of the gig is available on the Giants’ website The San Francisco Giants are seeking an Analyst to join the Baseball Operations department. This individual will be part of the analytics team and provide research and analysis to support front office, player development, and scouting staffs. This position will also work closely with the application development team to design and develop statistical models and tools using advanced data sources within new and existing applications. The ideal candidate will possess strong analytical skills, the ability to communicate effectively to non-technical people, and both passion and intellectual curiosity for the game of baseball.Possible tasks might include ...Figuring out how the Giants can hit more home runsExploring the Giants’ lack of powerStatistically detailing just how many games the Giants would win if they hit home runsImplementing statistical models to improve the power of current Giants playersDraft analysis in a search for amateur powerRetroactively explaining the Jose Guillen moveHere are some of the qualifications Bachelor's degree in computational field, such as statistics, engineering, computer science, or applied mathProficiency with SQL and relational databases (Microsoft SQL preferred)Strong quantitative abilities, attention to detail, and existing knowledge of baseball analyticsExperience with additional programming languages (e.g. R, Python) is strongly preferredUnderstanding of statistical modeling and machine learning techniquesLet’s see ... check, check, check ... check, and check. I basically wrote SQP. But I have a job, whereas you might be looking for one. So if you’re smart, capable, and willing, apply! The hours will be unfathomable and the pay won’t be great, but imagine your satisfaction when dorks like me make fun of the moves you advocated for The circle of life!